Tuesday, November 3, 2009

“REALLY?”

Those who know me well are now wondering, “REALLY?” You see, I don’t email. I’d still rather pick up the phone and call someone. Seriously. I do not email. When you are running a hospital – working with folks who take care of people every day – they need to see you, and they need to hear you. It’s my philosophy, and it has worked well for more than 30 years now.

I am smart enough to know, however, that people do get a lot of information from our website, from Facebook, the internet in general. They Twitter (although with that one I’m still not quite sure why.) And I use the internet. I like to see what other people think about the world, healthcare, our country. SO, here we go. I am starting a blog.

I am not claiming to be an expert. I learn something new just about every day. However, I have been in this healthcare business a long time. I have the gray hairs to prove it. So I’m going to start this blog to share with you my thoughts, opinions and passionate feelings on healthcare, Tuomey and probably a few other topics that strike me on certain days. I love what I do. I work with some of the best people in the business of taking care of people. I would put them up against anyone in the country. And I can’t wait to tell you their stories.

I plan on writing this blog at least once a week. It will always be MY OPINION. Not the board of Tuomey, not the medical staff, not our employees. It will be mine, and mine alone. I might sometimes step on some toes. And that’s OK. That happens when you are talking about important things. People have differing opinions, and that’s OK, too. If you like what I’m writing, let us hear from you. If you don’t like what I’m saying, I want to hear that too. It’s important that we Americans discuss difficult decisions. And right now, there is probably nothing more difficult on the table than healthcare.

We’ll definitely look into those complex issues next week, but for right now – since this is my first entry – I want you to know more about me. Who I am; where I’m coming from. We’re all a product of our raising, and my beliefs have instilled in me a few traits. I like people who are honest, and I want them to tell me the truth. In these conversations over the years, I’ve learned a few things. I think this list will give you a good idea of who I am and where I am coming from.

Here’s what I’ve learned:

  • Westerns are still good movies. I want to be the guy in the white hat.
  • If your mom wouldn’t be proud of what you are doing, don’t do it.
  • My wife is the smartest person I know. Period.
  • Even really good people can sometimes make dumb decisions. Don’t hold it against them forever.
  • Forgiveness makes us all feel better.
  • Hire good people, then LEAVE THEM ALONE to do what you hired them to do.
  • Smile. It’s easier.
  • Think before you act.
  • Work hard each day. You’ll feel better when you sleep at night.
  • Always tell the truth. Always! That’ll help you sleep at night too.
  • Children grow up too fast.
  • Grandchildren are the sweetest things on earth.
  • Your FAITH really does carry you through difficult times.
  • The Golden Rule really is golden.
  • Think about how your actions are going to affect others.
  • Eat more salads. Exercise more.
  • People are basically good.
  • Hugs are great.
  • Elect smart, honest people to office – on all levels of government.
  • Be kind, say a prayer and be thankful for what you do have.

There. That should give you enough to know where I am coming from. I am very excited about this blogging opportunity. And I can’t wait to see you next week! Take care!

Jay Cox
President & CEO

No comments:

Post a Comment